Coin3D is a high-level, retained-mode toolkit for effective 3D graphics development. It is API compatible with Open Inventor 2.1. Coin3D is a C++ object oriented retained mode 3D graphics API used to provide a higher layer of programming for OpenGL.
Let’s begin with its installation in your Ubuntu.
- Download Coin-3.1.3.tar.gz fom https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/coin/downloads.
- Next unzip the file using the following commands:
- cd /tmp
- gzip -cd Coin-3.1.3.tar.gz | tar xvf –
- mkdir coin-build
- Run configure from the build directory:cd coin-build ../Coin-3.1.3/configure After the configuration is done, it may show some prefix problem. Instead use the following command: ../Coin-3.1.3/configure –prefix=/usr/local –bindir=/usr/local/bin
- Build the Coin library: make If this command runs fine, it is well and good. But you may get some errors namely Error1 and Error2 at the end. This can be solved by editing the file Coin-3.1.3/include/Inventor/SbBasic.h. Put #include <Inventor/C/errors/debugerror.h> in the beginning of this file. This is bound to solve the errors in case they appear.
- Install the Coin library: make install
This finishes the installation of the Coin3D library. Its implementation will be discussed in coming posts.